<VV> More Master Cylinder Woes

Richard Tyson the.tysons@comcast.net
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:16:35 -0700

I received quite a number of suggestions on bench bleeding my new dual master
cylinder.  Thanks to all of you who attempt to held the mechanical challenged.
Although I could not find any mention in the instructions of restricting the
length of the piston travel, when I did limit the travel to approx. 1", the
flow of bubbles stopped.  Having successfully passed this major hurdle, I
mounted the master cylinder in the car and connected the lines that I had
"fabricated" a few days earlier.  In order to make the lines I had purchased a
tubing cutter and a double flaring tool.  With some practice I thought that I
reached a point where my homemade flares were nearly equivalent to
store-bought.  After spending a few minutes at each wheel, my wife
(reluctantly) pushing the brake pedal, I began to realize that all was not
right.  Fluid flow was rather meager and no resistance was forming at the
pedal.  An investigation indicated leaking fittings at both ends of the tube
running from the master cylinder to the distribution block under the dash.  No
amount of tightening eliminated the problem.  I thought about cutting off both
flares and trying it again.  Then, I thought about buying a preformed tube
from my local auto parts store, trying to bend it to fit, and forgetting the
flaring.  I removed the distribution block and cleaned it - no help.
Strangely, the other connecting tube did not leak on either end and I had made
flares on both ends.  All suggestions are welcome.

There was one other somewhat troubling observation with this master cylinder.
When the piston was depressed both on the bench and in the car, a good sized
geyser of brake fluid erupted from the front (nearest front of car) reservoir.
Before I caught on and placed the cover on the master cylinder, a sizeable
quantity of fluid ended up in the trunk.  I'm using Dot 5 silicon fluid if
that has any bearing on my problems.

Thanks again for the input and additional suggestions are more than welcome!

Rick T.