<VV> Safe and back home (short)

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio@megared.net.mx
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:54:04 -0500

Group,
     7,803 miles after leaving home to Lexington and Vancouver, I arrived to
Guadalajara yesterday afternoon.
Great convention, great people, lots of Corvairs and related stuff for only
two eyes, too much events for only five days while trying to understand all
words thru my dumb ears. Couldn't put faces to all VVs people attending the VV
meeting as my flash memmory is not fast enough to store new data on my old
hard drive as their remainning neurones were really busy.
    Did you remember your first time walking inside a big toy and candy store
when kids ?

    I was very fortunate with my car's troubbles while traveling:
1.- Speedmeter cable broken at arriving at parking lot, got a replacement
inside hotel.
2.- Ripped fan belt while crossing Montana, put the spare one.
3.- Flipped off new belt 20 miles after, engine overheated, (thougt the worst)
belt didn't work again. Drove to the next exit and stopped. Several nice
people from Osbourne (3 miles) took me to town's NAPA, twice, as the first
belt didn't fit. Engine continued working fine.
4.- At Surrey, BC, on my daughter's home driveway the engine began making the
well known noise of a loose valve seat but, in a 110 reliable head ? Took off
left valve cover, # 2 exhaust valve spring compressed, loose arm, bent
pushrod. Took the head appart, seat looked OK, valve stucked in it's bronze
guide. Easy fixing with a hammer, oil, points file, grinding compound and Rob
Hall's help, from Langley, coming at daughter's home with his spring valve
compressor.

    I will be really bussy working the next two weeks, out of home, but, after
that, will take the time for the long story.

    Saludos

    Daniel