<VV> Interior (dash) paint codes for 1965?

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:52:54 -0400

Harry, I wanted this info but never asked for it.  How do you do this?

What I am thinking of doing is converting the interior in my new convertible
from white and black to bright blue.

If I go forward, my list of parts to paint are as follows:

A-pillar interior trim
Dash pad
Dashboard
Kick panels
Door and quarter sheet metal
Plastic quarterpanel finish piece
Inboard seat pivot covers
Steering column
Steering wheel

Did I miss anything?

The best reference I have for the colors comes from this photo:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/vert/blue3.jpg

To me it looks like the dash, pad and steering wheel are dark, while the
rest of the trim is a lighter blue that matches the vinyl.

Based upon your info and the photos, I am coming up with the following as a
starting point:

A-pillar interior trim..............4623L  med. slate semi-gloss
Dash pad............................9196LH dark slate flat
Dashboard...........................9196LH dark slate flat
Kick panels.........................4623L  med. slate semi-gloss
Door and quarter sheet metal........4623L  med. slate semi-gloss
Plastic quarterpanel finish piece...4623L  med. slate semi-gloss
Inboard seat pivot covers...........4623L  med. slate semi-gloss
Steering column.....................9175LH dark slate semi-gloss
Steering wheel......................9175LH dark slate semi-gloss

I recognize that the next step is to convert these numbers into modern
paints and obtain the right type of paints for the type of substrate, but am
I on the right track here?

Also, I thought if I do this I would buy four or five of the trim pieces for
the quarterpanel for each side and have them painted at the same time as the
rest of the stuff so that when they break as they inevitably seem to do I
will have color matched replacement parts on hand.  Just a thought.

Norm Witte