<VV> Re: [fastvair] questions on throwout bearings

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:10:23 -0700

To be honest I'm not sure I recall anyone having a clutch problem that,
it turned out, was related to using a late t-o bearing with an early
clutch assy........Now, I DO know of a few where a long early type
caused slipping in a late assy, however. According to factory specs (and
what we usually sell) there isn't a great difference in length (height?)
between 60-63 and 64-69. The 1 7/8 inch length listed in the C catalog
is MUCH longer than original, BUT will usually work. Anything beyond
that, however, is too long.

There doesn't seem to be any reason not to use a stock length 60-63 t-o
bearing except that some manufacturers (notably Precision, Bower and
Pioneer) kept making them longer and longer and longer......(part number
consolidation) until they can be too long (We've seen Pioneers that were
over 2"). Those "extra long" 60-63 bearings MAY work alright in other
applications but they will not work in Corvairs.

Frankly there is no reason to use a 1960-63 t-o bearing that is longer
than recommended stock as we (and others) sell the correct length.  Lon

www.corvairunderground.com