<VV> Re: Mopar on the VV

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:36:33 -0400

I can't answer for MOPARS in general, but I have had up close, personal experience with 3 from the era.

One is my '67 Dart. Never spent a day inside or parked on pavement until I got it about 8 years ago. My grandmother parked it in her wet front yard (full
of springs) at her farm. There is one baseball size hole in the drivers floorboard and a little lower rear quarter rot, but the car is otherwise very rustfree.
The build quality is very high... on par with both my 1960 and previous 1964 Corvairs (the two best years of build quality IMO) and slightly better than
my '67 Corvair (the best late Corvair build quality IMO)... and much better than my experience with outher GM products of the era ('64 Impala, '66 Toro,
'66 Riv)

I also had an abused '66 Polara convertible. Really a basket case. But the only siginicant rust was in the trunk which had sat full of water for years.
And the build quality (though deteriorated) was again top notch.

Finally, Dad bought a new 1970 Chrysler 300 coupe with the 440. Beautiful car, nothing but trouble. Electrics, AC, etc... caught on fire at under a year
old... he really _wanted_ to love the car, but couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Bill Elliott