<VV> Re: Blower bearing Replacement

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:40:09 -0400

> With reference to the "bare" blower bearings Clark sells

(http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=MAIN'i
on=MAIN&page=10):
> If I have the C7740 pictured already installed, can I have a shop
> press the old bearing out without pressing anything out of the top
> cover?
--------------------------------------
Smitty says:  Mike no matter how you go about it you will have to pull
the bearing shaft out of the upper block cover.  It is possible to do it
without removing the cover using a slide hammer.  Never pull or replace
the shaft without heating the boss.  Put a little engine oil on the bass
around the shaft and heat the aluminum with a propane torch.  When the
oil begins to smoke it is hot enough to jerk the shaft out.  Press the
old bearing out of and the new one into the hub  Replace the hub and
bearing by heating the boss again and bump it in gently with a great big
hammer (a small sledge works great)  to the proper depth as per shop
manual.
        A word of caution here.  Doing it this way eliminates the
opportunity to see how things are going and clean up the windage tray
inside. Take advantage of the oportunity to pull the PCV tube out of the
housing and make sure it is clean and clear inside.