<VV> Re: oil filter/changing Belt

Tareece@aol.com Tareece@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:19:32 EDT

  Richard,
    No..U loosen the idler pulley (the one on the right, above the Harmonic
Balancer), push it forward (that give you enough room to put the belt on with
SOME effort--this comes later)...
    Now you put the new belt on starting at the Harmonic balancer, come up
the LEFT part of the Block (where the O.Filter is), wiggle a little, then loop
it around the cooling fan (make sure the fan retaining guide at the fan is also
loosened to permit the installation).
    Now you are at the 2 hardest parts. Getting the belt up and over the side
of the pulley, and then tensioning the belt properly.
     You'll have to have a flat bladed screwdriver to wedge under the belt
and leverage it up and over the edge of the pulley..Once this is completed,
you'll need a tool to pull the pulley back for proper tension. I would suggest
either the same screwdriver you just used or rachet to use as leverage...Pull
back and  check the tension by pulling on the alternator pulley...if you can get
it tight enough to where you can just turn the A. Pulley (using the blades as
fingerholds), then the belt is tight enough..
   Whatever you do, make sure you do not lessen your tension on the idler
pulley, as you will have a thrown belt before you go a mile.
   You will have to keep tension on the pulley as you finish tightening the 2
bolts...
   I would invest in a Corvair Library, made up of by--- in no particular
order:
    1. How to keep your Corvair Alive (new version)
    2. Corvair Basics (heck, I ain't got that one yet)
    3.Underground Catalog
    4. Clarks
    5. A huge refrence which answers 99% of your questions is the
            CORVAIR Tech Guide by CORSA the National CLub (you belong I hope?)
   Anyways, that'll get you started..I'm sure someone has already answered t
his but hey, I thought I could help...

   I hope this helps.

In a message dated 7/16/2004 9:32:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,