<VV> PG converter, flexplate and bellhousing questions, problems.

Terry Kalp tkalp@cox.net
Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:38:27 -0500

Group

Yesterday we pulled a 110 out of Ned's new silver Corvair and I pulled the 140
out of my '64 convertible, both were PG cars. This morning I transferred the
proper shrouds for the 110 motor to fit  into the EM.  This afternoon when we
bolted everything together . . . it all went together well until we went to
turn the converter and flexplate to bolt them together.  They were pressed
together and would not move independently.

 First thought was that the converter hadn't seated fully.  Loosened the motor
and tried to seat the converter fully, no luck.  Then we pulled the motor back
out and tried reseating the converter with the engine out . . . found out it
had been seated fully all the time.  Shucks (or something similar)

Now, what next?  I check the Tech Guide, Bob Helt's book, How to keep your
Corvair alive, the shop manuals, the Basics Book no clues.  Could the
flexplate been put on backwards (there were several other parts installed
backwards on Ned's Silver car) is it flat or does it have a slight curve?
Another issue is that the flexplate was bolted on using the thick flywheel
spacer from a manual flywheel and (I assume) the longer bolts.  I think I
remember that there were some differences between the EM an LM PG bellhousings
would these differences cause the problems I am experiencing?

Terry Kalp