<VV> Thermister door

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:53:12 -0700

At 02:49 PM 7/18/2004 -0400, Louis DeRobertis wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Is it normal on a 180 for one of the thermister doors to always be
>open?  The one on the driver's side on my Corsa is always open - the other
>one only opens when the car gets hot (which is what I thought they should
>both do).  Something amiss somewhere?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lou

Hi Lou,
Your driver's side thermostat has failed and leaked.  When that happens
they stay open all the time, since the alcohol has leaked out.  In a liquid
state, the alcohol keeps the thermostat closed and it expands as it turns
into a vapor at a specific temperature.   They were designed to fail
"safe".  Otherwise, that side might overheat if it failed closed.  Replace
that thermostat with a good one and you should be fine.

-- Larry