<VV> Big weekend = Big post

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:31:30 EDT

The Big Swap had a big weekend. Three cars code red, three engines, two rear
suspensions removed and one engine installed. Terry Kalp and I, with Jim
Dallas looking on and adding commentary, pulled the 140 out of Terry's 64
convertible. Only the engine came out of that car because it had a knock. We then moved
over to my 65/6 silver coupe and pulled the 110 HP engine. Terry proceeded to
swap out the LM shrouds for some freshly painted EM shrouds, while I removed
the rest of the drivetrain and rear suspension. I pulled it all together to
make things go quicker. We then attemped to install the 110 into Terry's
convertible. We learned that there's a correct way to install the flex plate.
Unfortunately, the one on the 110 was installed backwards (it came on the engine that
way when I bought the car). I'll let Terry fill in the details on this
adventure. Once that unscheduled item was corrected the engine went in easy. Next
was the job of removing the engine, drivetrain and rear suspension from the Deer
Hunter. I removed that as one (big mother) unit. We thought that it looked
pretty cool and stood around for a while admiring all the work we had done for a
few minutes. Then back to work removing all of the standard transmission
stuff from the Hunter.

It was great weather. Spent lots of time donig one of my favorite things,
operating Corvair wrenches for fun with friends. I took lots of pictures and I'm
hoping to get my all new Corvair web site up and running with in a day or so.

Hey Jim, what else did you do this weekend?

BTW Hank, I made Terry turn off the NPR pretty early this morning....

Ned Madsen
1965/6 Corvair Monza/Corsa 140
CORSA Member since 2000
Mid Continent Corvair Association - President