<VV> Repair/rebuild 110 - What would you do?

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:53:07 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/04 11:52:09 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ChiefTAM@aol.com writes:

> I drove the car three  times, for about 60 miles,
> and noticed a hammering.  Teardown revealed #4  rod bearing trashed, and now
>
> damage to a once standard relatively low mileage  crank.

Todd,
This is a tough one. One one hand you may have installed a bad (wrong)
bearing on #4 and got this problem.  so maybe a little crocus cloth would return
that journal to useable condition. Then you could install another correct bearing
and run the car to see what happens. If it fails again, then you will have a
total teardown on your hands. But there is a chance all will be well. Or there
may be a partially blocked oil passage.

If you decide to do that, I suggest this little procedure. With the engine
intact, except for the removal of the top cover (with the bearing) and removal
of the #4 rod (and piston/cyl) get an oil pimp driving rod from Clark's and set
your drill motor to running the pump (engine off!). Now manually rotate the
crank very slowly so as to align the drilled passageway in the crank with the
main bearing feeding it. Allow oil to flow out the end hole in the crank for
#4. But try to catch or sop-up the oil since it may contain debris. The idea
here is to clean out the oil passages feeding the #4 rod bearing.

But on the other hand, if you want to try to find the problem and fix it
right, you will need to tear down the engine and split the crankcase. Check all of
the oiling passages. mike the crank, maybe grind it. That is probably going
to be the only sure way. Sorry.
Regards,
Bob Helt