<VV> Re: 110hp engine with bad #4 cyl?

N2VZD@aol.com N2VZD@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:37:47 EDT

i would check all cylinders for taper etc(and ridge)  the crank may clean up
but it needs to be checked with micrometer at best and not easy in block,
maybe if you are a good gambler you could  plastigauge it. i still would think
about tearing it down with a minimum of bored cyls and new premium cast pistons
and crank turned if ok under 10 under. if worse replace it. make sure
everything gets washed down and oil pump gears looked at etc. make sure your shop
understands corvair cylinders pistons etc or ship it to one of our vendors or
shops!! too much of a gamble not to tear it down and do it right the first time.in
my opinion. while you are at it valve seals , blower bearing  etc etc.our
cruel shop motto used to be"if you havent got the time / money to do it right the
first time, why bother?"  regards tim colson