<VV> What about your PG Turbo (Morphed: Judson on a Sedan)

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:55:22 -0700

Mine is really ugly --> I bought it for 300 bucks.  It was one owner with
33,000 miles.  Unfortunately when he died the relative let it sit in a
vacant lot for six years.  Hence the paint is shot and the driver's seat is
cracking (looked good when I got it but it is brittle so as I drive it gets
worse).  I have done little to the car as the goal was a fun daily
driver.  I did shocks, tires, some bushings, gas tank, upgraded ignition,
and the Judson.  I also (for grins and giggles) put on a clear plastic
engine cover from the 60's (it is really neat).  It is 100% "period
original" with the exception of the electronic ignition stuff (Pertronix
and MSD and wires and coil).  I don't want to do any cosmetics because if I
do I won't want to drive it.  I have a very nice Spyder I drive about once
a week, but I always live in fear of dings and damage.  With the sedan, I
don't care, I don't even wash it :-)

The Judson works wonderfully with this combination.  It in no way has the
"snap" and acceleration of the Spyder.  However, the increase in perceived
torque is tremendous.  It will now go up hills at speed limit (75 here)
when it used to maybe manage 55.  Long accelerations (like on ramps) are
much quicker.  I think most of the reason it is not as snappy as the Spyder
is because of the PG.  I also think that belt driven sacrifices maximum
horsepower (it robs some) in exchange for always on power at any rpm (it is
a variable vane supercharger which is unusual an cool).

I suspect I get away with the Judson on a 102 because of the upgraded
ignition.  I am running richer than I would without and it accepts higher
timing.  I have no knocking or problems of any kind except it idles rich (I
am still looking for one size smaller idle jets).  This is likely due to my
altitude.

One day, when I am done playing and I find another driver (I am looking for
a 62 Coupe with A/C and PG) I will likely restore this one the easy way
(take it to California Corvairs).

Picture of my cars are linked to below.  I have been too lazy to put
pictures since I added the clear lid and Judson, but they are coming ...

Have fun with your car, send a picture!