<VV> Power Top

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:16:13 -0700

I paid $250 for a complete power top assembly including the frame.  It is
relatively easy to install the gearboxes and the drive motor and cables on
an existing manual top.  I'd recommend taking the gearboxes apart and do a
clean and relube.  Mine were pretty crusty.  Also check the thrust bearings,
mine were shot.  If you need to rebuild these, let me know and I'll send you
some of the balls for the bearing.  One catch though, when the top is going
down, you will need to give the front segment of the top a little boost to
"break" the hinge and get it moving.  With the 'official" power top frame,
this is unnecessary.  Does anybody know exactly the differences between the
two types of top frame.
Jim B.
'66 turbovert

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of BEllison@bbafiberweb.com
Sent: July 20, 2004 12:38 PM
To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com
Subject: <VV> Power Top

What's a good/fair price on a good working powertop assembly, for a late
vert?  Are we talking $50, $100, $300, or $500???  Got no idea.  Might not
want one.  (Got one close, need to know what to offer)

I'm assuming one can install this on a manual top, w/no probs?

Changed the oil last night, and ended up with HUGE leak today during lunch.
Reset the a/c oil filter adapter, and looks good for now, but made a HUGE
mess.

I know ya'll went over this before (tell I'm from da south?) but what was
the consensus/tips on changing the oil with an a/c adapter?  (didn't have an
a/c car at the time so I ignored posts)

I put two plastic bags around the filter, but still made a huge mess, in the
car, in the garage, on the way to the trash can, etc.  Couldn't get the
filter off by itself, not wanting to have to deal with the adapter side last
night after 10pm, but had to do it anyhow.  That's where it was leaking from
- delcotron/alternator housing, to the oil filter adapter.  It was pouring
too.

Barry
Corsa SC
65 Corsa Coupe, 140, 4sp
65 Corsa Vert,  140, 4sp
61 Lakewood
Please note: This message may contain information which is privileged and
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your computer.