<VV> Oil out the Dipstick

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:56:33 -0700

At 10:00 hours 07/21/2004 -0600, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:
>I know that this usually happens from to much crankcase pressure.  Well my
>newly installed ULTRA 110 in my 63 is really blowing vast quantities out
>the dipstick
>tube.  I have never had this problem before even with tired engines.  What
>can be done to slow this down?  When I put it in I had the top
>cover off, cleaned it, and all the PCV tubes so they are clear.  As I

Is the PCV valve perhaps stuck or clogged, by any chance?   I assume the
associated rubber hoses are also confirmed to be clear...

>recall It can be somewhat alleviated by cutting the tube off flush with
>the case inside inside the oil pan.

I always do this with any Vair engine from which I ever remove the pan.
I don't cut it, I stick a phillips screwdriver into the extended section of
tube stub and via some judicious yanking back and forth, break the tube
off, then I "wallow" the screwdriver shank around a bit to knurl down any
burrs.   It's not extremely easy to get anything into the area where the
tube is in order to cut it effectively.

>What else?

I'd go over all the PCV plumbing again to see if something is amiss or if
you overlooked something, or something else has gone bad since you put it
back together.    If it's spurting oil out the dipstick tube as you say,
then something is clogged somewhere.   Start with that PCV valve, just in
case.   And insure that there's vacuum on the intake side of the valve when
the engine is running.

Let us know what turns up...

tony..