<VV> Re: 95 vs turbo heads

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:57:33 +0000

Message: 4
From: "Sam & Marissa Andolino" <mandolin@rochester.rr.com>
To: "Virtualvairs" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:56:16 -0400
Subject: <VV> 95 Head conversion (zero compression update 2)

Hi Everyone,
What are the pros and cons on converting a 95 hp to a 180 turbo.  The head
on the car and the spare one both are cracked and need to be welded.  The
shop that is doing  the heads is a well known Corvair shop  suggested that I
have them covert a 95 head.  I know that the compression on both 95 and 180
are both low but will the two heads  work together on the same block and
give good performance? Has anyone done this,  and can they give me their
take on this conversion?  The last question is there an issue with the
valves and valves guilds on the different heads can they use the same ones?
One  turbo head has a big oil drain tube for the turbo.  I brazed fittings on my 140 head rocker cover for a drain.
The turbo valves' better material is important.  The 140 guides held up OK in my flogged on Corsa, at least as far as outright seizing goes. Don't the 95 and 180 go about getting lower compression with much different chamber shapes? Like wedge vs open chamber?  Can the thermistor be installed in the 95 head? I'd hate to lose that cyl head temp gage.