<VV> Oil Filters - Warning

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:10:30 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/2004 4:40:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
BobHelt@aol.com writes:

It  would seem that cheap is in the eye of the beholder. How can you
determine
how well a filter will filter and how much crud it will hold by looking at
the parts? all commercial filters have to pass certain SAE performance
requirements that include pressure testing, flow, contamination retention,
etc. etc. So
it would seem very subjective to try to determine a filter's  quality by
cutting it open.
Regards,
Bob  Helt

Well, Bob I would be very surprised if the new Fram oil filter I saw at our
Silicon Valley Corsa meeting on Tuesday night would pass any test at all. ( I
know of no requirement for passing any SAE test, in order to place a filter
on  the market) One of the members had a new style Fram, a (New) older Fram and
 a broken off filter housing, courtesy of a long ago rear-ender. You could
place  each filter onto the carrier, and see the inside contact flange as well
as  the outside. The mounting face of the filter was quite diffeent on the new
filter. There was no retainer ring to keep a flat face gasket in place during
 install. So the new filter had a thick gasket that just kind-of draped over
the  contact face, and contacted the housing when bolted in place. The quite
visible  problem was that as the outer face contacted, the inner gasket was
about 1/8 to  3/16 inch from contacting the housing. The old type contacted on
installation  and sealed to complete an oil filter circuit. The new filter could
never  have been pulled up tight enough to seal internally. It would seem to
bolt-up  tight, but little, if any, filtering would take place. It was scary.
As far  as I'm concerned, it was no filter at all. I recommend not using the
new-style Fram Corvair filter. I have asked the member to do a bit of
photography and I will post any shots he provides. - Seth  Emerson