<VV> Oil Filters

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:37:37 -0400

Bob

I reserve the right to object, but I won't fully.

You aren't wrong when you say filters have to meet certain tests to be
marketable.  Some of the proof of the pudding in this case is in opening the
filter to see how it stood up to normal use, i.e. the 3000 miles.

I have mentioned many times in this forum that K&N filters look nearly
unused after 3000 miles (except for the dirt it is holding),
 where a Fram looks like a roll of toilet paper that fell in the commode and
was left there for an hour or so.

Those high dollar Fram's they used to sell with the PTFE already in them???
I don't know if they still do, but a WIX factory rep opened one up at the
Charlotte Autofair about 5 years ago and showed me the PTFE.  A square of
cardboard stuck in the top of the filter that looked like it had a grease
stain on it.  They said that they spray the cardboard squares with a spray
bottle like you use for Armor All, and they are loaded into a machine that
drops one in the top of each filter case before the medium is placed inside.

So this is what you pay another 3 bucks for when you buy that filter???
What a Gyp!!!!

If they made a PF4 type K&N Filter, it's all I would use.

For now I'll use NAPA 1038's... I get a decent price on them, and the NAPA
suggested list for installers is
16.38!!!??!!!  Unbelieveable..... Master Installer price in my region is
8.50, and that's up about 3.00 since the PF4 was discontinued.

I'm gonna save the 50 or so PF4's I have around for the purists, let 'em get
a bit scarcer.

If anyone is interested I have some Shell P-12 (Ibelieve that's the number)
PF4 type oil filters available. Collectors or users, if you are interested
let me know off list.

I don't know if he is willing to part with, or even if he still has them,
but Mike Harrison (former Concours Chairman) in MD once had a fairly good
stash of hastings filters, black with the white lettering.

Regards
HANK