<VV> Car reaction to sway bars

Robert Wilkinson wilk@cellbio.wustl.edu
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:52:38 -0500

Ken wrote:  I am wondering how the heavy sway bar on front differs from the
heavy sway
bar on the rear. I run a heavy bar on the rear...and get...oversteer...Does
the heavy front bar do the
opposite?

Yes, exactly.  A sway bar increases lateral weight transfer when
cornering.  This reduces grip on the loaded outside wheel more than it
increases grip on the unloaded inside wheel.  Less grip total on that end
of the car.  On a late Corvair (which oversteers due to rear weight bias,
though less than earlies) one wants a lot more front roll stiffness than
rear to add net understeer and balance the car.

Robert Wilkinson
63 convertible