<VV> Re: oil out of dipstick.

Barry Gershenfeld mailist@san.rr.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:27:21 -0700

I though I'd share a tale or two, being a veteran of "oil out the dipstick".

I had an engine that blew so much oil that I fashioned a "receiver bottle"
out of a plastic fabric softener jug and connected it directly to the
breather.  It acted like a trap, so I had a second "breather" hose from the
bottle to the outside down by the air grille.  After a day or two most of
the engine oil would be in the bottle, so I'd lift it up and drain it back
into the engine.  When I finally replaced that engine I disassembled it and
found one good piston ring, and about 11 broken ones.

I suppose a vacuum line connected to the crankcase would show vacuum at
idle, and boost at speed!

My '61 has a road draft tube, and during a routine cleaning I discovered
this:  I don't recall how I tried to clean it, but when I was done I could
blow air through it.  I thought it was OK. Then I tried to flush water
through it.  All I could get was a trickle.  So I cleaned it a different
way.   Probably used some speedometer cable chucked into a drill (an old
tech tip)  to rout it out.  After this I could run a solid stream of water
through the tube, unrestricted.   And the engine didn't push oil out
anything after that.  Moral: Just because you can blow through it doesn't
mean it's clean.

In marginal cases, having that little seal at the top of the dipstick can
make the difference.

Barry
Havin' a Powerglide weekend.