<VV> squeak and chirp follow up (bb)

Steve Mizel stevmizel@hotmail.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:25:52 +0000

I sent the following email from Juno, but think they are having server
problems again, so I am sending this from my hotmail account since I would
like some feedback...sorry if this comes through twice!

A few days ago I wrote asking about my "chirping" noise (that started
sounding like a hampster wheel that needed oil)...most of you suggested
looking at the U joints...some suggested wheel bearings...and one or two
said to look at brakes.  The brakes look fine and there are further symptoms
that are making me worried.  The passenger rear wheel will roll backwards
freely for quite a while but will then "hit something" and stop...I can roll
it forward (for noticeably less time) and it will do the same thing.  I
cannot roll it further without serious effort.  I can force it, but get a
"grinding" noise.  The drivers' side rolls freely either way.  When I spin
the drivers side back wheel either direction, the passenger side wheel spins
the opposite direction w/o noticable noise (but I am on the other side of
the car, so it may be making noise).  The brakes look clear and I am
thinking the U joints wouldn't make it act like this...but I am admittedly a
rookie!  I am thinking (gulp) that this sounds more like something in the
drive axel (is that even the right term?)...I read through the shop manual
about it and it looks like there is a bearing inside there that maybe could
go bad?  This is starting to sound more expensive and much more difficult.
I like to get as much feedback as I can before I start taking things apart
(especially when it's all new to me!).

TIA for all the assistance
Steve Mizel (respond to slmizel@juno.com)
CORSA
65 Corsa Vert 140/4 sp

THAT does not sound like U joints

If it was sudden, probably not wheel bearing - they normally give a warning.

Could be something with the brakes.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee.