<VV> Carbs, brakes now fuel pump oh my

Dave Hammelef davhammcar@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:59:50 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, Bought this car early oct last year over the net.
Finally got it Nov 1st. Since I live in Michigan, not
alot of seat time them but new carbs needed
rebuilding, brakes needed some attention and the
electric fuel pump was noisey.

Over the winter rebuilt the carbs, took the car out
for a spin engine ran fine. Brakes were pulling really
bad and becoming unsafe at any speed. So into group
red. Rebuilt the brakes new flex hose, wheel
cylinders, hardware and shoes. Finally finished that
this morning.

Lowered the car. Hard to start not uncommon as fuel
pump would not kick in right away usually took untill
2nd or third crank. This time I never heard the pump.
Idled really rough gave gas and smoothed out lift foot
stalls out. Still no fuel pump noise, restart rough
idle revs up fine - see some smoke out the back. Come
down off high rev dies, will not restart. Cranks
sounds fine but will not fire. Still no fuel pump
noise.

Now the only reason im not sure its the pump is it
seemed to run twice and sweep up through the rpms fine
(is there enough gas in the carbs alone to do that??).
There are red wires for the fuel pump and cut off
switch running all around this car (oil pressure
sensor, another sensor, coil ..) I have no idea how to
diagnose an electric fuel pump, any and all help is
appreciated. I have digital camera if pics of anything
would help.

Thanks
Dave (I sure would like to drive this car sometime
this year)