<VV> Carbs, brakes now fuel pump oh my

Mike Ioanes mioanes@woh.rr.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:40:35 -0400

 Cranks
> sounds fine but will not fire. Still no fuel pump
> noise.
>
> Now the only reason im not sure its the pump is it
> seemed to run twice and sweep up through the rpms fine
> (is there enough gas in the carbs alone to do that??).
> There are red wires for the fuel pump and cut off
> switch running all around this car (oil pressure
> sensor, another sensor, coil ..) I have no idea how to
> diagnose an electric fuel pump, any and all help is
> appreciated. I have digital camera if pics of anything
> would help.
>
> Thanks
> Dave (I sure would like to drive this car sometime
> this year)
Dave, does this car have JUST an electric fuel pump?  No mechanical one?
The wire from the oil pressure switch to the pump SHOULD be the hot one
(when you have oil pressure).  This will make it harder to troubleshoot as
you should only have voltage when you have oil pressure.  A shadetree
jackleg like me would run a "temporary" hot wire straight to the pump and
see if it ran then.  If not, bad pump.  If it runs then, back to
troubleshooting or rewiring.
This is all supposition and based on my knowledge of these systems.  Never
had a Corvair w/electric pump but don't want to start that thread.
Hope this helps,
Mike Ioanes
P.S.  I'm posting this to VV in case it's not right.  Someone will set us
both straight