<VV> Vacuum, and the YH

Mark J. Murphy m.j.murphy@comcast.net
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:19:51 -0400

All of this talk about vacuum and ported vs. manifold and all inspired me to
check my car today (OK, so I was bored).  I'm running a turbo with 140 heads
on a powerglide.  I run minimal base advance with an advance unit and a
(recently expired) water injection setup, and it does alright.  My question
for the experts is this:  I have heard that there is no accessible ported
vacuum on the Corvair YH, but I found a tap on mine that I use to signal
both the VA and the water.  It reads minimal vacuum at idle, and increases
with the throttle as it should.  There was a lead plug in the throttle plate
housing, located just in front of the "back under" carb mounting nut that I
tapped a nipple into and thought nothing of it.  Do I have a non-Corvair YH
or does everyone have this?  The only numbers I could find on the carb (no
tag) were "146-254" cast into the bowl cover.  Thanks for any ideas!
   ,-----___\----,    Mark Murphy
   \--(o)----(o)--'  Derry, NH, USA
http://m.j.murphy.home.comcast.net