<VV> Late Model Power Top Frame - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:55:54 -0400

Thanks to Les Honke of Winnipeg, I have my answer to the "Mystery Part."
Les has a LM power top frame sitting in his basement and he and I hooked up
by phone today and figured it out.

First, I was correct that this part attaches to the rear frame rail, but to
the ootside (Canadian spelling, eh?), not to the inside as I had thought.
It does indeed limit to motion, but it also serves to apply tension to the
side cables; the small hole at one end is what the rear end of the side
cable screws into.  That was a surprise to both of us, but it becomes
obvious one the part is properly installed.  What is weird is that there is
a notch and a hole in the forward end of the rear frame rail where it looks
like the cable should be anchored, but in fact, on power tops, it does not.
So I checked Clark's catalog, and sure enough, there are two different
cables listed for 1965 convertibles only - one for manual tops (which I'll
bet is shorter and anchors to the rear frame rail) and one for power tops.

I will post some pictures of the installation later.  I decided to apply
some touch-up paint to the frame today so I will have to wait a day for it
to dry.

Thanks to all who responded to my request!

Bill Hubbell