<VV> carb balance tube theory

John McMahon jmac2112@adelphia.net
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:00:22 -0400

Can anyone point me to an explanation of how carb balance tubes work?  I
understand the point of them, what I would like to know is the theory.
Putting a hole downstream of a carburetor would seem like a bad idea, even
if the air coming in is charged with fuel, since it would seem to decrease
the signal on the idle circuit for that carb.  I suppose each cancels the
effect of the other, but then I wonder if the success of this relationship
is dependent on the size of the holes.  Too small and they will have no
effect, too large and you really will destroy the vacuum downstream.  Some
people lie awake at night pondering the meaning of existence; I, on the
other hand......

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe

P.S. What exactly would happen if you tried running a perfectly balanced
Corvair with the balance tube disabled?