<VV> successes with ignitor?

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:38:06 -0400

In a perfectly maintained, perfect condition stock ignition system, you should not see any significant performance difference with an Ignitor. However,
very few us of have perfect systems... a common malady seeming to be varying dwell due to distributor wear... and the Ignitor quickly and easily solves
this problem.

In addition, the Igintor allows the use of a higher voltage coil. Some of the well-respected experts here will tell you that running a higher voltage coil is
not necessary, but in my "real world" experience, I have noted a significant improvement with one. Possibly I would have seen the same improvement
with a fresh stock coil... but with a Flamethrower at $27-30, why not go with that?

Overall improvements from the upgraded ignition package incluse much easier starting, slightly smoother idle, and more robust acceleration from
3000rpm-redline. (All of my Corvair distributors had some dwell variance... this last advantage would have likely been solved by a fresh points distributor
as well.)

I run Ignitors not only in my Corvairs, but most of my LBC's as well... I have never had a failure... and I strongly believe that the vast majority of the
failures you hear about were (1) the very first generation which had brittle wires and (2) Ignitor I's running off the ballasted power source.

I have both Ignitors I and II. Honestly, I cannot tell any signifcant difference in the two... but I'm a big enough believer in the science behind them (and
the thought that the Iginitor II may be a bit more robust) that in the future when I buy an Ignitor, I will buy a II... but I will not pull out a perfectly fine
Ignitor I just to upgrade to a II.

My advice for the best "bang for the buck" ignition system for a street Corvair? Ignitor II (hooked up to a pure 12v power source) with 40kV
Flamethrower coil, a set of Seth's wires, a quality cap and rotor (I really like The Source bits here), and a $6 set of W8AC Bosch Supers. This should
supply more ignition than would ever be necessary for the street.

A turbo puts a lot more stress on the ignition system... and an Ignitor should provide plenty of spark for any situation where the stock system _may_ be
more marginal.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD