<VV> Autocross report

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:06:53 EDT

all,
I had a fun weekend driving Michael's renovated Corvair Stinger YS045
yesterday.
   The event was at Walesboro (Columbus, IN ) airport which is about a mile
long and very slippery deteorating asphalt. We still have a lot of fun here
though.
  Light, powerful  cars with wide slick tires just don't work well here so we
took Michael's 2400 pound plus STS (Street touring, street tires) Corvair
with 205-50-15 Falkens. One person there is often quoted as "If you think street
tires are an advantage, why don't you run them?"; so we did.
   Fastest time of the day was a four wheel drive Subaru on street tires.
   In order to give the poor car some rest, Michael ran in STS and I ran in a
different heat in CP.
   The course was absolutely  tortureous in a huge car with no power steering
and a 108" wheelbase. We did manage a good time though, due to the car's
oversteering tendancies ( small front anti- roll bar and a large rear one) and had
a ball. it also lightly misted rain off and on---mostly on my heat.
   The Corvair seems ; at least at local events, to be perfectly situated in
STS. Michael won but did not have the fastest raw time. The win was largely
due to others hitting cones. Michael and I each only had one clean run out of
five. --Did I mention that it was tortureous?
    I won CP due to the same attrition, and yes Michael beat me by .3
seconds. I did have a better raw time than him though.
   Jeff Rapp and Paul Fox were there also in their 'Vairs; these shy persons
can write their own stories.
   Michael and I are both entered in the Divisional Championships at Grissom
Airbase in Kokomo, IN this weekend.
     We expect a mid pack result against the champions. Wish us well. If
Michael should happen to do well , you can vist us in the protest shed. His
Stinger was built "exactly" to the written rules; but of couse, is an unusual ,  and
therefore "suspect" car.
   Having windshield wipers and others conveniences in a Streetable  race car
has me thinking-----hmmmmm.
Warren