<VV> Re: Balance Tube

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:51:14 -0400

> jmac2112@adelphia.net writes:
> Can anyone point me to an explanation of how carb balance tubes
> work?
Smitty says:  John to add to what Ed said i will offer this bit of shade
tree wisdom.  When you have an engine like the Vair which is basically
two 3 cylinder engines tied together with a common crankshaft, each carb
has to deal with a lousy flow characteristic.  The intake strokes of the
cylinders on that side are widely separated.  That means the carb on that
side would have to deal with an airflow at idle that would be literally a
start/stop situation.  By adding a balance tube some vaccum is transfered
to the other carb base to smooth the flow  but is not enough to upset the
operation of the side supplying the vaccum.  Like I said, this is shade
tree thinking so don't write a book and quote it as an engineering
principle.