<VV> Re: overcoming rust

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:20:26 +0000

> Message: 3
> From: GYoungwolf@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:33:47 EDT
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: Turbo disassembly advice?
>
> I am rebuilding a late model turbocharger, that has apparently been dormant  for a while. I had to chisel about 3/4" of rust out of the housing, but cannot  get the large snap ring free. I had to re-drill the holes for the snap ring  pliers as they had rusted over. I tried heat and rust buster and have it soaking  in kerosene waiting for a removal tip. I want to try to save the seal  assembly to use as a core on the newer style. Thanks in advance.
I might blow off the kerosene and give PB Blaster several hours to loosen things up.
I like to tap things around to break rust bonds. I'd get out a few punches and sharpen them square and flat on the ends. (Also grind off cracked or mushroomed metal on the hammering end).
First I'd hit the ring moderately at about a dozen spots around the OD. I'd be dropping the hammer a few inches, not swinging it.  I'd be trying to drive the ring inward, parallel to the turbo shaft, like I was trying to widen the snap ring groove.  Then I would gently hit the seal housing, trying to drive it deeper to release pressure on the snap ring. Then I would very gently try to drive the snap ring around in the groove. Finally I would  try to remove the ring with real snap ring pliers.  Push in hard so the tips can't slip out of the loops.