<VV> RE: 30 year old gas tank mud/should've been a Buick

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:28:07 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/2004 3:34:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu@roava.net writes:
I'd ride one of those old Buick straight-8s just for the sounds they made.

Tony,
When Cheryl and I were married back in '89 I had a 1950 Roadmaster "Riviera"
sedan... big and black... it was my daily driver... 320 cid straight 8, and it
had a 130.5 inch wheel base. It DID ride like an ocean liner! When I first
stopped to look at the car it had a for sale sign in the window... it also had a
cracked exhaust manifold... the guy came out and said "you don't want this
old thing"... I asked "How much?" and he said "You can have it for $600 if you
know how to start it"... I hopped in, turned the key on and hit the gas pedal
(the starter switch is integral with the carb on those, and activated by the
position of the gas pedal)... "Womwomwomwom" and it came to life...
Thats the car we took our honeymoon in, and also Sarah's first ride home from
the hospital was in that car (I DID add lap belts, front and rear)...
I drove it for almost 3 years and then the gas prices rose too high for me to
go anywhere... I sold it for $3000 and bought my first Corvair... been
driving them ever since.
If I ever get "wealthy" my dream car is a 1939 Roadmaster (or Century)
convertible sedan... beautiful car.. and next choice would be a 1942 Roadmaster....
Of course thats after I've bought all the Corvairs I can stand...
Later,
Lonzo...

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg