<VV> successes with ignitor?

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:54:36 -0700

Ignitor alone will not provide any real performance difference if the car
is otherwise in perfect order.  If the distributor is a little sloppy it
can compensate to a degree.  However, adding a hot coil (I use Pertronix
Flame Thrower II) and 8mm wires will provide a lot more spark and allow
larger plug gaps.  This allows you to run a little richer and gain a bit of
performance.  In either case it is nice not to hassle with the points.

Having said that they can fail and having a points plate pre-gapped and
ready to plug in is a good spare to have in the car.

Adding an MSD 6a ignition module provide a lot more spark and significant
performance gain and driveability -- especially when cold.  I have that
setup on my 102 hp with PG and 62 Spyder 150.  The MSD is a bit of a hassle
to install if you want to hide it, but not too bad.

At 05:51 AM 7/26/2004, Derek Archer wrote:
>I am thinking about putting a pertronix ignitor or ignitor II system on my
>'64 spyder coupe. I mainly want to do this to eliminate the hassle of
>adjusting point gap and checking points and setting dwell and all that
>other fiddly stuff. Have there been any real performance or other
>differences in engine characteristics with the ignitor or the ignitor II
>(in case you don;t know the ignitor II also has variable dwell in the
>circuitry) with the '64 turbo 150? How about the '62 102hp since I also
>have a monza convertible that I am thinking of adding the system to as
>well. The monza has a stock coil. The spyder has an MSD coil on it, but it
>is NOT electronic. It just carries the MSD brand name.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html