<VV> successes with ignitor?

Eric S. Eberhard flash@vicspdi.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:56:30 -0700

100% agreement ... although the MSD 6a ignition module is also a nice addition.

At 06:38 AM 7/26/2004, Bill Elliott wrote:
>In a perfectly maintained, perfect condition stock ignition system, you
>should not see any significant performance difference with an Ignitor.
>However,
>very few us of have perfect systems... a common malady seeming to be
>varying dwell due to distributor wear... and the Ignitor quickly and
>easily solves
>this problem.
>
>In addition, the Igintor allows the use of a higher voltage coil. Some of
>the well-respected experts here will tell you that running a higher
>voltage coil is
>not necessary, but in my "real world" experience, I have noted a
>significant improvement with one. Possibly I would have seen the same
>improvement
>with a fresh stock coil... but with a Flamethrower at $27-30, why not go
>with that?
>
>Overall improvements from the upgraded ignition package incluse much
>easier starting, slightly smoother idle, and more robust acceleration from
>3000rpm-redline. (All of my Corvair distributors had some dwell
>variance... this last advantage would have likely been solved by a fresh
>points distributor
>as well.)
>
>I run Ignitors not only in my Corvairs, but most of my LBC's as well... I
>have never had a failure... and I strongly believe that the vast majority
>of the
>failures you hear about were (1) the very first generation which had
>brittle wires and (2) Ignitor I's running off the ballasted power source.
>
>I have both Ignitors I and II. Honestly, I cannot tell any signifcant
>difference in the two... but I'm a big enough believer in the science
>behind them (and
>the thought that the Iginitor II may be a bit more robust) that in the
>future when I buy an Ignitor, I will buy a II... but I will not pull out a
>perfectly fine
>Ignitor I just to upgrade to a II.
>
>My advice for the best "bang for the buck" ignition system for a street
>Corvair? Ignitor II (hooked up to a pure 12v power source) with 40kV
>Flamethrower coil, a set of Seth's wires, a quality cap and rotor (I
>really like The Source bits here), and a $6 set of W8AC Bosch Supers. This
>should
>supply more ignition than would ever be necessary for the street.
>
>A turbo puts a lot more stress on the ignition system... and an Ignitor
>should provide plenty of spark for any situation where the stock system
>_may_ be
>more marginal.
>
>Bill Elliott
>Urbana, MD
>
> >I am thinking about putting a pertronix ignitor or ignitor II system on
> >my '64 spyder coupe. I mainly want to do this to eliminate the hassle
> >of adjusting point gap and checking points and setting dwell and all
> >that other fiddly stuff. Have there been any real performance or other
> [...]

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a
message)

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html