<VV> Emergency Car Care Kit (Some Corvair)

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:27:43 -0400

>In 42 years of driving and being occasionally dead beside the road, I don't
>think I've ever had to wait more than 10 minutes (probably 5) for some kind
>soul to stop and help.  On at least two occasions, I've had guys stop, take
>me back 20 miles or so to the nearest town, wait while I bought tools/parts,
>take me back to the car and wait until I got it fixed in case I needed
>another ride.
>Redneck without a gun,
  Roger

I agree with Roger... people are kind and generous... and despite the strange little cars I drive in addition to Corvairs, if someone even thinks I'm in
trouble, I never have to wait long before someone stops to help. And I will always try to stop and help someone if I have the time at all (not when
running late to the airport at top speed!)  Just a couple weeks ago, I stopped to help a  family that lost their camper (brand new camper, inexperienced
tow, forgot to lock down the hitch).

Carrying the right parts has always been the kicker for me. The ONLY time a Corvair will throw a belt is when you're not carrying one! (honestly, aside
from the track, I've thrown 2 belts in the past decade...both times when I had given my spare to someone else to use or had just moved it to another
car for some reason.)  So now I carry at least 2 spares (and a spare fuel pump...since that's one of the main items you're not going to find easily on the
road.)

The only time I've actually been stranded in the past 5 years or so was when my TR6 distributor jumped up and cracked the cap. (I now carry a spare
cap and rotor.) Stangely, that's the only time I've been stranded in a Corvair either.... dist somehow jumped up and took out the cap.

But as Bryan said, best thing to carry is a cell phone and credit card. AAA card isn't a bad investment either....

Redneck WITH a Gun,

Bill Elliott