<VV> Emergency Car Care Kit (LONG)

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:38:23 -0400

I *have* thought about this quite a bit.  My experience is that
carrying stuff around invites laziness in maintenance, which simply
leads to more breakdowns.  When I stopped carrying tools on a regular
basis, my reliability went way up.  Do the work in the driveway.  Check
your fluids once a week.  Drive the car once a week to keep it loose.
I have found that there are *very* few things that break with no
warning that also leave you completely stranded.  Use that warning to
get to a better place for the car to break.  If it still runs when you
get there, park it anyway and fix it.

Now, on a trip that's a different matter, I do usually carry some tools
and a fan belt especially if I'm autocrossing (I did, after all,
collect all that info and put it on a web page).  Again, my experience
is that I need parts anyway, so the phone, roster, and credit card get
it done.  In the day of FedEx, why carry a bunch of parts when the one
you may well need you'll have to buy anyway?  Stew MacLeod broke a diff
case last year, who's going to carry one of those?  You got a spare
yoke and halfshaft?  I've needed those.  If you are satisfied with the
reliability of your fuel pump (for example), don't worry about it.  If
you're not, get something better.

If the car breaks, walk to a restaurant, call a friend and invite them
out for dinner, then get a ride back home, pick up the correct supplies
and tools, then fix it at your leisure.  If your car is breaking more
often than once a year, you need better maintenance.  If you don't know
anybody who'll rescue you once a year, you need better friends :-)

One caveat to all this - I live in a densely populated metro area, so
it's not like I'm going to be stranded 50 miles away from home in my
regular commute.  However, I think that all the discussion of what
needs to be carried around is somewhat self defeating.

As for terrorists and methHeads, I'd propose that a well maintained
vehicle is your best choice.  Any other planning for them belongs on
VV-Talk :-)

--
Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/