<VV> Pinion Gears

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak@lmco.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:57:29 -0500

I read the 1965-66 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa Turbo Buyer's Guide article
in the August issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines and I have some
questions.  Larry Claypool states, "The transaxle's weakest links are
the spider (pinion) gears" and "They were perfectly adequate for the
stock power and tires, but if you give the car more grip and load the
transmission, you can run into problems."  Those of you that have
installed more aggressive engines, have you run into transaxle problems?
Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the pinions from 2 gears to 4?
I've purchase a 110 engine in which I'm going to rebuild to a 140 and I
haven't even thought about the transaxle.  Should I be concerned?