<VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #839 - 10 msgs

srmarti srmarti@netzero.net
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:30:44 -0400

> Has ANYONE ever considered using low-thermal transmission ceramo-metallic
> coatings to keep the heat out of the metal in the first place?  You don't
> need to disipate heat that never enters the castings.....it increases the
> thermodynamic efficiency of the engine as a by-product!  The stuff worked
> like gang-busters in our Nissan racing engines, and I'm just
> about convinced
> to try it in a 4-carb I'm building!  remeber fellows, the BEST
> way to handle
> a problem, is to never let it occur!
>
> John

Sounds like a great idea.  It bothers me that I've only heard about
thermo-barrier coatings on race car engines, exhaust systems and gas
turbines, and not any production auto engines. Makes me wonder why the
automakers aren't using them.  Seems like a relatively inexpensive
improvement.

Steve Marti