<VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #839 - 10 msgs

Rick Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:43:15 -0400

Probably three reasons....Cost, cost and cost.  It's cheaper to design
it so it doesn't need it.

No realy, cost is a factor but also reliability, production engines for
the masses must be designed to work for a long time, without proper
care, under extreme conditions, so they are over engineered to a point.

If a production engine was designed to the point where it really needed
thermal coatings it would probably not meet the above criteria.

You see them in applications where the demand is the greatest and in
some conditions actually a requirement for any kind of longevity.

Rick Loving

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of srmarti
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:31 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> RE: VirtualVairs digest, Vol 1 #839 - 10 msgs

> Has ANYONE ever considered using low-thermal transmission
ceramo-metallic
> coatings to keep the heat out of the metal in the first place?  You
don't
> need to disipate heat that never enters the castings.....it increases
the
> thermodynamic efficiency of the engine as a by-product!  The stuff
worked
> like gang-busters in our Nissan racing engines, and I'm just
> about convinced
> to try it in a 4-carb I'm building!  remeber fellows, the BEST
> way to handle
> a problem, is to never let it occur!
>
> John

Sounds like a great idea.  It bothers me that I've only heard about
thermo-barrier coatings on race car engines, exhaust systems and gas
turbines, and not any production auto engines. Makes me wonder why the
automakers aren't using them.  Seems like a relatively inexpensive
improvement.

Steve Marti