<VV> Pinion Gears

SPYDER62@aol.com SPYDER62@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:49:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/28/2004 6:56:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
airvair@richnet.net writes:
All I can say is that I once broke the spider gears in the diff of my
140 4-speed '69 just by driving to Cincinnati. Go figure

 I did mine in the parking lot at work just  idling out of my parking spot.
Heard a loud bang then no drive, could push it in reverse but not forward. It
went so hard a spider tooth went thru the posi housing. This was in a 65 Turbo
with 72000 miles. Don't know history other then a car nut had it from new and
when I got it the blower had died and was gone. His son said it sat for years
which I can say it did under a pine tree. When it broke had original eng but I
set it up to run on carbs so all of maybe 80 hp. Only rear I ever had brake
in 38 years of driving and autocrossing.
rich