<VV> Corvair didn't make money?

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:35:27 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/04 10:01:36 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
joelsplace@earthling.net writes:

> remember reading a few years ago in a Corvair book that GM lost $5 per
> vehicle over the 10 years.  I had a detailed explanation of production costs
> vs other vehicles etc.  Of course I don't remember what the name of the book
> was.
>
> Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)

Hi Joes,
I never saw the $5 figure, but John Wipff in his "Compleat History......."
book Vol 1 stated that GM had a loss of "about" $50 on each Corvair. Maybe that
was what you read? (Shows the reliability of memory). The problem is again,
that he stated an opinion with no facts or references to support his thesis. No
detailed explanations of production coste, etc were presented. One would have
to dig into the GM financial statements (10Ks???)  for those years to get the
real story, assuming that the Corvair facts are broken out.
Regards,
Bob Helt