<VV> cost of Corvair in Europe (was Corvair didn't make money?)

Guus de Haan guusdehaan@wanadoo.nl
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:46:45 +0200

> <Frankly, though, I'm surprised the Corvair wasn't a bigger hit in
> Europe where it was decidedly superior to most other sedans or large
> coupes
> in its price range.>

Apart from import taxes which made it pretty expensive there were
several other reasons. The Corvair may have been a small car in the US,
it still was a pretty big car for European standards. Also the European
system had (and has) a lot of factors which make it expensive to run
bigger cars.

High insurance costs due to the high price
Higher weight which is sometimes the basis for the road tax dues
Engine capacity which is the basis for road tax and insurance in some
other countries
Horsepower which again is the basis for road tax and insurance in others
And those six cylinders of course want some fuel ...

It simply was not a car for "Joe Average" so numbers would never been
that high.

Let's also not forget that the Corvair was designed as a basic car in
the US. European versions were not updated in any way. So if it was
compared against some of the more luxurious European players
(pricewise) the choice may have been pretty easy!

Regards,

Guus de Haan
The Netherlands
'65 Corsa Turbocharged Convertible