<VV> Re: Fuel Filter Performance

djtcz@comcast.net djtcz@comcast.net
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:10:49 +0000

> From: GYoungwolf@aol.com
> Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:17:29 EDT
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: Fuel Filter Performance
>
> Just a note to those who are using the Purolater type in line fuel filter
> with the glass cylinder and plastic filter inside - they don't seem to work very  well. I installed one on the family riding mower (because of a less than  perfect and very old fuel tank) and had to disassemble and clean the carburetor  twice in 5 hours of mowing. Each time there was trash in the main jet. I could  see some trash in the filter itself, and some got through.
Back around 1974 one of the Dirt Bike magazines did a test of fuel filters.  The good old sort-of-clear white plastic AC GF-454 won easily, catching little particles and continuing to flow well when using gravity fed.
The modern GF-454 has a steel case, unlike the old one, so the nice feature of visibility is lost.  A year or 2 ago I started using the Fram equivalent on 2 vehicles with known fuel tank rust contamination problems, with no running problems since.