<VV> A/C Condensers & Fans

Mikeamauro@aol.com Mikeamauro@aol.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:42:00 EDT

Hello Joe...
Re: Electric puller fans installed on 67 factory air condenser:
Snip...Are your fans in any way thermostatically controlled (I know they sell
fans that incorporate that feature)? I'm sure you've told us before, but
would you mind telling me the diameter (and other characteristics) of the fans?
You've already said they're pullers (that's a spec)...Snip

Mine are 9" puller fans, (obviously) attached tight to the engine compartment
side of the condenser. To ease load on the cabin A/C controls, the compressor
clutch and idle boost solenoid are energized through a slave relay receiving
load power directly from a fused 12 V feed from the battery.  In turn, when
the clutch/solenoid relay is energized, two separate fan slave relays are
energized.  I have added a switch port on the high side, and will be adding a fan
cycling switch prior to cooler weather. The fan switch will be wired in series
with the control loop for the fan relays (on a drop in head pressure (to about
150psig), the fans will drop out but the compressor clutch will remain
energized. Maintaining a certain degree oh high-side pressure is necessary in
maintaining liquid line subcooling (a full column of liquid to the TXV). Perhaps
another point of interest (in that OEM A/C controls are getting real scarce), the
high speed blower is powered through yet another slave relay....the only load
on the cabin A/C controls are low and medium blower power, and control coil
loads of the various mentioned relays.

I get much of my A/C gear from: Arizona Mobile Air:
http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm
(Although I did get my last SD7, and mount, from Rusty....He is a good
supplier).

Hope some of this is helpful,
Mike Mauro
67 Factory Air Coupe
64 Greenbrier Deluxe, A/Ced with dual condensers and front & rear evaporators