<VV> 63 corvair - Is this a respectable deal?

Marc Marcoulides Marc Marcoulides <hharpo@earthlink.net>
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:06:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

My opinion is: that is a ton of money for the car as described. The comment about the top rear window, I never open mine, getting them zipped is more trouble than a tax audit. I suggest you look at Spyders on eBay for a price guide.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Headley <robedinpurple@yahoo.com>
Sent: Jun 1, 2004 2:04 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 63 corvair - Is this a respectable deal?

Hello, my name is John Headley and I'm a new member.
Sorry if this is too long, but I'm checking out
Corvairs and wanted input on a possible car I'm
looking at.  Here are the specifics.

-1963 Corvair Monza Spider Convertible
-4 spd manual, serial # 30967w212110
-46000 miles
-engine rebuilt 3700 miles ago
-body panels look good/straight
-car has been repainted, some scratches/chips
-has original wheels/tires and a newer set of
wheels/tires
-64 clutch plate and springs
-ARC2500 under dash record player
-convertible top has some mildew, back window opaque
with the usual stuff.  Doesn't want to pull all the
way closed, has been down for 3 years (!)  I suspect
this will cost $$$
-brakes are suspect, hard pull to right
-all window fuzzies and rubbers need refreshing
-doors close well, no evidence of sag
-clutch feels ok, engine feels ok but not powerful
(expected more from a turbo), shifter mechanism feels
fine
-stalled 2x at idle - carb adjustments?
-engine oil leak, unidentified source
-battery tray is rusted out, replacement in there, but
is more of a "temporary" fix than a cut out the bad
metal and replace with good (see link below)
-rust out in left wheel well area in front of battery
tray
-some small rust (significant?) on below rocker on
seam (passenger side).  I do not know if this is
superficial or significant. (see link below)
-seat covers are in good shape, carpet is OK
-all electrical appears in order
-bumpers and exterior/interior brightwork are not so
shiny, may need refinishing
-master cylinder may be leaking, crumbling undercoat
type material below it.
-glass is good

Overall, the car looks pretty solid, but has a lot of
things that are "not quite right".  Asking price is
$6100.

Picture Links (broadband recommended):
Exterior
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/corvair_front.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/corvair_rear.JPG

Interior
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/interior.JPG

Battery tray
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/battery_tray.JPG

Left wheel well
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/left_wheel_well.JPG

Rocker seam
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/rocker_rail_1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/robedinpurple/rocker_rail_2.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide.  My gut says this
is a fairly solid vehicle, but it will take a lot to
make it a show car.  The price seems high for the
amount of work to be done, but maybe I am wrong.

-John
robedinpurple@yahoo.com