<VV> Vapor Lock?

larry@forman.net larry@forman.net
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:11:27 -1100 (SST)

Hi Sam,
The answer is maybe.  You can check by pulling the air cleaner and actuating the throttle and seeing if the accelerator pump is working.  I
know this works for Rochesters, but not sure about Carter YH's.  If you don't have any fuel in the fuel bowl, then you won't get any from
the accelerator pump and thus you likely have vapor lock.  You can also feel if the fuel pump is really hot.  Placing some towels that have
been soaked in water around the fuel pump should cool it down and get the vapor converted to liquid so it will pump.  You could
alternatively check the fuel return line and see if fuel is flowing back into the tank.  Another idea is to pull the fuel pump and replace
it with a cool one that will start flowing immediately.

You could pull off the lower shrouds and see if reducing the engine temps might solve your problem.  That should only take a few minutes to
do.  I would recommend replacing them when the weather gets cooler.

I JUST went through this on a 110 in the CA desert.  The fool proof solution is to install an electric fuel pump.  I placed a "12S" fuel
pump on the front of the cross member and routed longer fuel lines to it and back.  I know that this pump was stated to flow from 5 to 9
psi, which is likely a little high for a Carter YH.  The NAPA store also had a "16S" which was rated from about 2 to 4 psi, which I think
might work better for the YH.

Regardless of which electric you might install, you should install protection devices, like either an inertial switch or an oil pressure
switch, to prevent the fuel pump from continuing to pump if the engine should be involved in some accident and not be running.  Fuel
continuing to pump with the engine off is not good.

-- Larry

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:48:05 -0400, "Sam & Marissa Andolino" wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have question about vapor lock.  With our 66 Turbo we can run it on the
> expressway for about 40 miles then it will shut down.  About 1hr later it
> will start. Is this vapor lock? Got a new fuel pump, rebuilt carb and the
> fuel pressure gage set at two pounds. Can any one give some insight what
> could be going on
> Thanks in advance
> Sam and Marissa Andolino
> 66 Turbo