<VV> replace '63 tranny

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:10:27 -0700

At 01:07 hours 06/12/2004 -0400, BobHelt@aol.com wrote:
>Sppence,
>Please see below for my comments.
>Regards,
>Bob Helt
>

>In a message dated 6/11/04 9:11:35 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>sshepard3@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> I have a need to replace a 4 speed transmission in a '63 (Spyder) and may
>> not
>> have a '63 or earlier 4 speed available. It will be temporary. I have
>> several
>> '64 and '65 4 speeds and some '65 transaxles and have a couple of
questions.

>> 1) Can I use a 64/65 tranny on the '63 differential with the proper input
>> shaft? (Will the larger shaft fit through the pinion shaft, I know I would
>> have to replace the seal)
>
>***Absoutely! In fact it may be a better combination. That 64/65 tranny
>shifts a lot smoother in most cases.

Yep, works out nicely.   And, the larger input shaft and sturdier '64-65
box is a plus as well.

>> 2) Can I use a '65 transaxle by just using the early axle yokes? (no
>> speedometer)
>
>*** No, I don't think so. but I have never tried it.

I know someone who did this, simply by removing the diff yoke bolts to let
the yokes slip in and out a tad ala the earlier diff.    Then again, GM did
this with the '65 Greenbriers which use a '65 car differential but slip-in
yokes.    There's also a fitting for attachment of the speedo cable which
looks odd on a late diff.

I've not been inside a '65 Greenbrier diff but I assume it's simply fitted
with earlier parts ala the pinion shaft with speedo drive threads and the
earlier center section parts with no threaded holes for the yoke bolts etc.
   Now I need to go check the manuals and see...

tony..