<VV> Convention Update - Norm (long)

Norman C. Witte ncwitte@wittelaw.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:38:04 -0400

Yesterday I got up early to clean my car for the car display.  I was parked next
to Darth Vair and had a very enjoyable chat with the Chuckster before going
over to the show area.  Every year I tell myself I should enter the concours
and every year I chicken out because it seems like too much work.  That's
probably a cop out.  I think I will enter it in the concours at the DACC
Homecoming.

Despite some clouds early in the day the weather was great for the car display
and the concours.  Many beautiful cars were on hand.  A couple of my personal
favorites from the concours were a Cameo Beige '65 Monza with a red interior
owned by John Tyger and the Aztec Bronze raffle car.    Another favorite of
mine was Rich Thompson's black '64 Spyder coupe, which simply looked elegant
with the stock wheelcovers and a red interior.

In the car display, the show stopper was definitely Frank Parker's Darth Vair,
even though it was not running due to clogged injectors.  The engineering on
this car is simply amazing.  It will certainly rank up there with Jay Eitel's
V12 '69 as one of the all time best engineering Vairs.  First class all the
way.

After the car show, into the pool I went with the kids.

Joy, the kids and I met up with several members of the West Michigan club for
dinner.  While sitting there, I experienced an episode of SVT, which means that
my heart rate went up to about 200 beats per minute.  This is a side effect of
some medication I am on, and it meant a ride to a local hospital in an
ambulance.  I'm fine, but unfortunately it meant that I missed the VV meeting,
which was a great disappointment.  I understand Bill Hubbell was also too ill
to attend.

This morning I got up early again to tinker with the one of the carbs on my car
before the rally.  My tinkering failed to cure the poor running carb, but it
didn't prevent us from running the rally.  John and Kathy Koenig from the West
Michigan club took two of our kids in their car, and Joy and I took our other
two in the Corsa.  The Kentucky countryside was absolutely beautiful.  The
rally planners did a great job of taking us through gorgeous horse farms.  I
have no idea how we did from a scoring standpoint, and it really doesn't
matter.

In the afternoon I had an impromptu tech session with Ken Hand who found the
problems with my carb's venturi cluster and cured it.  The car runs much better
now.

Despite the a couple of setbacks, we have had a great time.  Tomorrow we do some
sightseeing, and then we head home.

Norm Witte