<VV> Engine noise, Bearings, Plastigage et al

ChiefTAM@aol.com ChiefTAM@aol.com
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:45:04 EDT

Thanks to everyone who sent e-mails explaining plastigage and it's use.  I
had lots of Corvair books, and have looked at many of them (I didn't have a Shop
Manual until this happened however, only had some supplements that came with
my 69) but I hadn't read about rebuilding an engine because I never had to do
that.  The problems I have had with Corvairs before this were not internal
engine related.  My total experience with rebuilding engines involved a Briggs
and Stratton in the early 70's in high school shop (and we didn't use
plastigage) and helping my brother assemble a couple of small block Chevy's we built for
my racing Jeep.  We didn't have to, or we didn't, use plastigage there
either.  In the case of my recent problem with my 69, it was not crank related, but
piston rings, and the replacement of the rod bearing was really just an
afterthought.  While it was off, we decided to replace the old one with new.  We
didn't have (I didn't know about as said) plastigage, but we did mic the journal.
 As there are no Corvair mechanics (as a business) in the Dallas area, and
I'm sure, as we age, and the cars age, there will be fewer and fewer of
mechanics specializing in Corvairs, I am going to have to learn how to be a mechanic
if I want to keep up with Corvairs.  I will learn by trial and error, with the
help of friends in NTCA, and with the help of those on this list.  Believe me,
I would rather this not have happened, I would much rather be driving my car,
working on getting my house built, concentrating on my new job, and now
finding a place to live for the next 4-5 months, but I'm at least smart enough to
learn from it.  Lots of extra work, but I'm learning.  Thanks for the help.

Todd
Dallas