<VV> Wheels / Tire swap and front disc brakes

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:38:26 -0400

On Jun 24, 2004, at 8:36 AM, Frank F Parker wrote:

> Oh Seth. They say your memory is the 1st thing to go. Don't you
> remember
> the convention from last week. The Northstar vair has 18" rims with
> 215 x
> 40-ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sports.
>
> Seriously, they fit by trimming the front outer edge of fender. Offset
> was
> about stock. Don't remember exactly but can lok up if someone wants,
>
> frank

As the first one to run 16's on a Corvair, I find all this big wheel
stuff interesting. (Sorry Mark) I presume that with the proper offset,
225's will fit the rear just fine. In fact you could probably go to
245's or larger, although the diameter would get pretty tall. The front
is the problem.

Frank: I'd be interested in knowing the offset of your wheels. And, are
they all the same? Do you think there's room for 225's in front? Your
215/40's must be about 24.8" diameter, probably a good diameter. Do you
think a little larger diameter would fit?

Seth: People are always asking me about fitting IROC wheels and
different size tires. You had 225/50-16's on front of your old autoX
car. How did they fit in front? Did you use the "rear" wheels? Where
did you trim the fenders?

Bruce