<VV> Engine Installation with an ATV lift

GYoungwolf@aol.com GYoungwolf@aol.com
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:23:34 EDT

Just for information. I used my new ATV lift ($79 from Sears) to install an
engine yesterday. The owner had left the rest of the drive train in place.
After a helpful tip from Ken Hand on getting the torque converter lined up and
installed, I jacked the car up to the extent of a floor jack under the 2 rear
jacking points. I then jacked the differential level with the floor and supported
it with a jack stand. I was then able to roll the engine under the rear of
the car, but had to remove the alternator adapter (the oil pipe was in the way),
rear motor mount (from the body), and distributor cap. I was then able to
slowly jack up the engine (with a foot pedal) while easing it forward (with the
t-bar handle) to clear and line up with the TC. I got the two top mounting
bolts. I jacked the entire drive train up about an inch so that the motor mount
bolts were engaged and bolted it up. The bottom bolts were installed and pulled
everything snug. Whole time was about 20 minutes with no assistance. Getting
the engine onto the lift was also a breeze. I simply slid it from my hydraulic
work table to the lift. It wouldn't be hard even if the engine was on the
floor since you would only have to lift/leverage it up about 3 inches. I highly
recommend one of these things!
Grant